Crepes are a very thin type of soft buttery pancake that can be both sweet or savoury. Savoury pancakes are a great option for breakfast, brunch and even dinner. The French love Crepes so much that they celeberate ‘Crepe Day’ or La Chandeleur a national holiday by eating Crepes.
I was never a person who enjoyed eating sweet things, specially for breakfast, so my mom would often make savoury alternatives to suit my palate like savoury French Toasts. One of my favourite recipe of hers was a savoury Crepe filled with shredded cabbage and chicken with mayonnaise.
This Crepe Recipe yields perfect soft Crepes that are not too eggy or chewy. The addition of melted butter in the batter helps keep the Crepes soft. I also use less eggs and more milk to avoid omelette like Crepes. For the filling I have used French inspired flavours from ingredients like herbs de Provence (an aromatic mixture of dried thyme, basil, rosemary, tarragon, savory, marjoram, oregano, and bay leaf), mushrooms and Cream). You can use any savoury filling of your choice. Some popular savoury filling ideas are; sautéed mushrooms, omlette with herbs, and ham and cheese.
- Milk 1 & 1/4 cup
- Eggs 3
- Melted Butter 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- All Purpose Flour 1 cup
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- Assorted Mushrooms 1 cup; sliced
- Garlic Cloves 2; minced
- Green Onions 1 cup; chopped
- Herb de Provence 1/4 tsp. (Can be substituted with mixed dried herbs)
- Cooking Cream 1/2 cup
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock 1/2 cup
- Crushed Pepper 1/2 tsp.
- Butter to fry Crepes
- To prepare the Crepe batter add milk and eggs in a jug or bowl and whisk using a wire whisk until well combined.
- Mix in melted butter and around 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- In a separate bowl add flour and half of the egg mixture. Whisk until all there are no lumps and a thick batter is formed.
- Mix in the remaining egg mixture to get a runny smooth batter. Combining the egg mixture in two steps helps prevent lumps. Alternately you can add all the ingredients in a blender and mix on high for a few minutes.
- Allow the Crepe batter to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In the mean time prepare filling. Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté sliced mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms are slightly browned.
- Add chopped green onions and sauté for 5 more minutes .
- Mix in stock and cream and cook till cream is thickened,
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare Crepes heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a Crepe pan or wide non-stick pan on medium.
- Pour around 1/3 cup of Crepe batter into the pan and spread it around by tilting the pan until you have a thin round Crepe.
- Allow the Crepe to cook until edges begin to brown (approx.. 1 minute) and the using a spatula flip the Crepe over. Let the Crepe cook on the other side for half a minute.
- Once the Crepe is cooked transfer it onto a flat plate and continue the process to make more Crepes until all the batter is used up.
- Fill each Crepe with around 2 tablespoons of mushroom filling and serve warm.